Survival Spanish for Healthcare Professionals – William C. Harvey
- -Basic Spanish for Better Communication
- Effective Spanish for Emergencies
- Practical Skills to use the Next Day
Tired of relying on the patient’s family members, your co-workers, or even telephone assistance to handle simple conversations with Spanish-speakers? What if you could learn just enough Spanish to get through a typical workday all on your own? And, what if you could do so while having some fun at the same time?
Survival Spanish for Healthcare Professionals is a beginning Spanish program, designed for healthcare personnel who understand and speak very little, or no, Spanish, and are interested in an effective, non-threatening language learning experience. Course content includes basic vocabulary and grammar, along with conversational expressions, questions, and commands tailored to the needs of all those attending. Instruction is -real-life and geared for today’s busy adult learner, taught with humor in an atmosphere that guarantees rapid language acquisition and valuable cross-cultural awareness.
Learning Survival Spanish for Healthcare Professionals is finally possible without the hassle of traditional classroom instruction.
The Guidelines to Learning a Second Language
- Cultural Understandings
- Busting the Myths
The Sounds of Spanish
- Basics of Pronunciation
- The Vowels
- Dialectic Differences
The T. P. R. Technique: Using Medical Commands
- Touch and Talk Technique
- Body Parts
- Basic Foods
How to Understand a Spanish-Speaking Patient
- What and How to Listen
- How to Slow Down Speech
- Spanglish Words
Healthcare Words, Expressions and Beginning Conversations
- Needs Assessment
- Giving Directions
- The Physical Exam
- Treatment Terminology
Survival One-liners in Customer Service
- Cordial Exchanges to Use
- Utilizing the Interpreter
The Question Words: Using the Hospital Interview
- Admission and Discharge
Easy Answers: How to Respond
- One-Word Questions
- Either / or Questions
- Yes / no Questions
- Clocks, Calendars and Appointments
The Verb SER vs. ESTAR
- Sentences with AM, IS, ARE
- Use in Context: Illness and Injuries
The Front Desk, the Hospital, and Room to Room
- The Building, Medical Equipment, Job
- Titles, Specialists
The Post-It Method
- Home Practice Technique: The Home and Furnishings
- The Doctor’s Office
- How to Ask the Right Questions / Answering Appropriately
The Verb TENER
- How to Use TO HAVE
- Family History
- Male / Female Roles
- How to Talk to Kids/the Elderly
Medical Verb Forms
- How to Create Complete Sentences
- Healthcare Power-lines
Practice Tips and Beyond
- Distinguish the key communication differences between U.S. and Latino cultures.
- Discuss Spanish words and expressions related to healthcare situations.
- Demonstrate effective communication in Spanish with comfort and moderate proficiency.
- Apply knowledge to assist co-workers in need of basic Spanish skills.
- Devise methods to communicate in an emergency situation with a Spanish-speaking patient.
- Demonstrate a basic health screening assessment in Spanish.